Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The real Kenya

I promised a follow-up. It feels like ages ago since last weekend. Back it up.
Here’s some back ground information for you.
Friday – Francis and I had an interview with Rev. Josephat Gakuya in Nyahuuru?. He attended one of the conferences held by Brackenhurst. So basically I wanted to know what kind of impact the conference had on him. The truth of the matter is there was physical evidence of an impact. For one he took us to a number of tree nurseries started as a result of his preaching. Within his own farm he had planted trees prior to the conference and trees post conference. The trees planted before were planted incorrectly. The post conference trees had significant growth that surpassed those that had been planted earlier. That was encouraging to see. He took us on a wonderful drive past areas that were once rich with forests and animals. Now trees can be sparsely seen. That evening I was able to meet his supervisor of sorts, the Bishop of that area. I instantly felt his wisdom, insight. I can’t really explain it. Looking into his eyes, hearing him speak and not speak showed me a man who has seen and know more than what he’s letting on.

I don’t want to make this a blog that goes on and on so I will be short.
- Stayed the night.
- The next morning traveled to Nheeri?. From there took another matatu to Karatina (Frances home village)
- Finally the real Kenya! It was a moment to savor. It rained. Rain is wonderful but with it comes transportation struggles. The dirt road out to Karatina was a 4x4ing dream! It almost felt like driving in deep snow! I had a perma smile none the less. Took off my sandals and walked bare feet for the rest of the day. Got called a lot of laughs and some interesting comments. “See white man can walk without sandals!”
- As Frances explained to me, guests are whole heartedly welcomed! I felt like the queen walking through Karatina and out to his farm. It was a robust hike down to the farm. (so you can imagine the hike back up!) We hadn’t had lunch so when we got there Frances mom served us a wonderful Kenyan meal! Words cannot express the wondrous feeling or the beauty of stepping off the beaten track.
- Frances mom is about 80 years old. She stills works in the fields. (corn, coffee, bananas, beans) She also makes the hike down to the river/stream to haul her own water back up to her home. Amazing. Life takes a whole different meaning. A shelter over their heads is a small two room buildings. (the cottage I live in seems huge compared to that) All are welcome (including chickens.) Frances mom cooks over an open pit fire. I can’t imagine the fumes she ingests on a daily basis. Their material wealth is very basic and simple. (ok so almost nonexistent.) Lovely people.
I came away feeling almost ashamed. How is one suppose to feel, think, act after being exposed to that? And still I lust after material wealth. I feel torn in between two worlds.

Attended a two day women’s conference.
Black women have such grace. I am touched by their openness and their ability to have no shame! In a group of 80 or so women all predominantly black I feel accepted and loved. I was even given a prize for my good narrating job! As I lay basking in the sunlight with the other women I was acknowledged and brought into their circles. Even though I can’t understand fluent Swahili they make sure someone translates. Oh how they laugh! Yes it is sometimes over exaggerated but that just makes one laugh even harder until they literally fall over onto one another and the ground. Their hearts are big and their hands work hard. My people we could learn so much from these women.
- Witnessed women falling over from the Holy Spirit. Not sure what I think about that. Shocked the pants off of me. I was worried they would have a concussion from hitting their heads on the ground. I felt like a wide eyed child.

Enough blogging. Sorry this is so long but so much has happened.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Sarah that is all i can say!! You are definatly my inspiration!!

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, sounds like an amazing experience to be closer to an actual community and involved in thier activities. I hope you get more authentic experiences like this one in the weeks to come, I'm sure you will have alot to teach us all back home here. All the best to you babe.

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an awful lot to absorb...

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop appologizing for long blogs. I enjoy every word.
You are going to have such culture shock when you get back here. I'm having such a hard time looking at my life after hearing about yours in Kenya... and i'm just seeing it through a computer monitor. How are you going to stay grounded and not die from dissapointment when you get back? We should make sure we have a simple Christmas. Lots of snowmen (instead of red mud) and hot tub (instead of open cooking fire. And maybe we can have cabbage and rice instead of ham and potatoes. ... or maybe not.

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you plant a tree incorrectly???
What mother's of Israel! Kenya's wealth seems to be its people.

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home