Friday, October 27, 2006

In the midst of pain and suffering...

My apologies for all those who are looking for a refreshing, uplifting blog, because this is not one of those.
I have an image stuck in my head and it feels best to write about it to release some of it's power over me. Today Tracy and i were in Nairobi doing some grocery shopping and as we were driving I could see up a head a man literally beating a woman with a baby on her back. I've seen people fight before but never where a man is punching a woman in the face. Let alone a woman with a baby on her back. I'm not sure what the argument was, nor do i want to know. Luckily other's came to her aid, so we continued on our way.

It seems such a small insiginifcant thing but yet i find myself thinking about it. A few day's ago a group of 8 muslim woman were gang raped all night long. It got a lot of media attention. And when i say gang raped i don't mean a gang in the sense that we think. It's merely a group of men. Can you even imagine the grief, shame and terror?! Now some of those unmarried women believe they can never marry. (because they are muslim) There are many stories here of abuse, neglect, rape, etc. The words fail me.

How desperate this world is in need of grace. Where do we find ourselves in this picture? Life here certainly puts things in perspective.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I can already see you sitting on Oprah's yellow couch. I think she does quite a few shows regarding Africa.
Good to hear you are safe. Violence witnessed really impacts the witness in many ways. Take care of yourself.
Love, Bonita

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, you are right about the world needing Grace. Take care of yourself!
Pete

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, my heart bleeds for pain and suffering, can't even see Schindlers List! Incredible cruelty in this world.... Hard to know how to respond, but we are called to bring along a cup of cold water. Guess it's like seeding the seed, do what we can, where we can, leave the rest to God

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My grace is sufficient for all". I find great comfort in knowing that, in light of what you experienced.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankfully you are there to be an agent of Grace and to bring some healing into the life of Africa. We pray you will continue to recieve strength for your journey

alberto

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I am sorry that you had to see that pain and suffering and be so close to it. I am with dad in that seeing the pain and suffering of others can be too painful for me to see or hear about it. But yes we are called to bring a cup of cold water to those who are in need and so with the grace of God we can bear with our brother's and sister's those pains and sufferings that they are carrying. Therefore go with God's grace and peace.
Love you sister
Amy

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww Sarah, it is hard to read about the pain and suffering it makes me weep as i read it! How incredibly strong you are not only to see it happening and not fall aprat but to be there and still want to be God grace, and not restrubtion. Thanx you for reminding me of how frail and human we all realy are. Keep being people light!!

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home