Thursday, October 26, 2006

Meet Winnie,

Winnie has been working in Care of Creation Kenya’s nursery for two years. Her official title is ‘Nursery Manager.’ Originally she was working in the Environment Department here but when Care of Creation Kenya began they wanted someone who knew about trees. And let me tell you they found the perfect person for the job. I say this out of bias but also she is highly qualified for many reasons. For one, botany is her passion. As a young child she remembers being instilled with creational values. Her father worked in a similar field so naturally Winnie’s love for the Creation has been internalized. Having been brought up in a Christian home she was taught all things are apart of Creation and therefore we must revere it because it all belongs to God of the Creator. In addition her Granny showed her the traditional uses of different herbs. Her supervisor Frances Githaiga speaks very highly of her saying, “She is a hard working, self-driven woman and is of great value to the organization! We often rely on her for plant identification and knowledge of the plant’s uses. She is an avid reader who excels in her field better than many, many others.”
Today Winnie juggles a full time job in the nursery, being a mother and a wife. She has four children ranging from age 2 – 14. Even though this is often very exhausting and overwhelming she carry’s her head high without complaint and with contentedness. She mentions it can sometimes be a challenge as an African woman working as a manager overseeing a handful of staff both female and male. Despite the financial difficulties of working on a very meager salary she carries her burdens gracefully. She can be heard saying, “Her strength is built upon the rock and foundation of Christ.”
Winnie dreams one day of taking a degree in Botany. Growing up her parents could not support her dreams as she had other siblings who had needs also. She remembers at times being sent home for school because she couldn’t pay her school fees. She recalls those day’s to be devastating times. But she still believes in her heart that one day God will help her see her dream through. She say’s you are never too old to go to school. “Where I am is because of God’s leading.” Say’s Winnie. “It is never to late to aspire to my dreams.”
Her words to the world are this. In a world where there is so much pollution causing ozone depletion, global warming, etc, every other person should take seriously. If you care about the air and about future generations you should nurture trees and be environmentally conscious.

Winnie is a kindred spirit who has opened her heart to me. She has welcomed me with open arms. And yet she is reserved and has such humility. I also see her as a courageous, warrior woman. She fights her battles wearing the armor of God. I truly feel drawn to her. May her dreams come true! I think I will write to Opra!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool story babe, write Opra, thats a good idea!

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the introduction. I think the money that I spend on school would be better directed to her education.
Oh, and when you write Oprah, make sure you spell her name right. :)

12:03 AM  
Blogger LindsayAnne said...

haha i was gonna say the same...(spelling). sarah i hope i can meet winnie! i haven't been able to learn many plant names here, so maybe learning some in Kenya would be just as good:)

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree sarah what a cool story, it makes me want to send her to school!! Definatly write Oprah!

6:12 PM  
Blogger bri said...

haha, sarah...I just have this vision of you in Honduras getting all worked up and passionate about some issue and though I swear you didn't, I can so hear you say "I think I'll write Oprah" haha You make me laugh and I like hearing about your life.

bri

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home