Sunday, November 19, 2006

A week of conversations

Well I’m not sure where to begin because I’ve had one super sweet week. It was a much needed restful adventure. I had a wonderous week in Tanzania spending time with a very good friend. The first four day’s were spent on Safari in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. I’d go into detail about that but my beautiful friend Lindsay did a good job of that so you can check out the details on her blog. (click on her name)
I will say this though. It was a superior safari in that I saw everything except for a rhino. Whatever visual image you have in your head about a safari is probably somewhat true. I felt like I was in the movies. In the sense that here I had some African guides cooking and driving us around to see animals. It’s like going to a resort and all the people on the beach are white. I also kinda felt like I was walking in the foot steps of a National Geographic magazine. When I get home I’m going to see if I can find a National geographic magazine on the Serengeti, etc. For me it was truly awesome to see so many animals in their NATURAL state. I had a hard time prying the binoculars from my face and taking pictures. But I think in addition to that was the landscape. So plain yet so grand and rich.
Being students and all we chose the “cheaper” and more idealistic safari, camping. It felt more safariish. (don’t think that’s a word) At the different campsites we were literally NOT allowed to venture off. Truly! There could be lion around the corner. At the one site walking to my tent I saw a hyena and an elephant. Oh and there were Zebra’s super close to our tents. A little different from raccoons. Haa. Ok enough safari talk. I’m probably missing a lot of information so if you have any questions just ask ok.

The other two day’s in Tanzania was spent on a food security tour of sorts. Basically a few people, CRWRC field officers and partners from Malawi, Zambia and Tanzania were touring different agricultural projects. Such as examples of improved agricultural techniques, food storage, water dams, etc. Those two day’s were enlightening for a few reasons. One we were able to visit different rural communities. The one day we did a two hour walk through their fields. Although it was long and most of us were sunburned it was very refreshing. Why are those who have very little are those who are so generous? During those two day’s I enjoyed numerous conversations with some of the people from Zambia and Malawi. For me it was like a field course ranging from topics such as community development, environmental issues, Biblical thought, social justice issues, etc. Hmm.

Needless to say it was a week of conversations taking me all the way back to my temporary home in Limuru. I’ve posted a few pictures on flickr for your enjoyment. Not near as many as I should be. It’s hard to choose out of a thousand or so pictures what to post. Plus my pictures never do justice. That's all for today. The next three weeks will be spent submerged in paper writing so i apologize if i don't blog a lot. Hope you all have a great week!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you're back, sounds like an amazing experience.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

Sarah,

After a long period without my precious internet, I was so glad to be greeted by your blogg once again. I always feel deep in thought after reading of your experiences. I wonder how life will look different when we get back to Canada? Or, how can one even collect themselves after seeing and experiencing the things that you have. Thanks for sharing them will all of us.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredible!!! The places and the experiences you student people are involved in are changing your thinking, and doing forever! I firmly believe you are being equipped to be world changers. God is redeeming this world, and you are a rich part of this process. As parents we are privileged to be a part of this through the lives you share with us. Thankyou for that not only Sarah, but Lindsay and Jane and Bri and all you others out there doing the same.

12:56 AM  
Blogger dan brouwer said...

I'm jealous..sounds like a good time.

3:59 AM  
Blogger LindsayAnne said...

good descriptions sarah. hope paper writing is on the way. i definately feel overwhelmed...but we got back today from kenya and that was good. ttyl!

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah of the Serengeti....so good to hear from you. This is a life altering experience orchestrated by the Master himself.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home